Albert Einstein once said, “Learning is experience; everything else is just information.”
Montessori education recognizes the importance of this concept and strives to provide a comprehensive education that prepares students for success and fulfillment in their daily lives and future endeavors. The Montessori method takes a holistic approach, focusing on developing the whole child and equipping them with the skills and knowledge necessary to thrive in their personal and professional lives.
Our society’s education is often viewed through a narrow lens, focusing solely on preparing students for exams and academic benchmarks. As a result, the traditional education system prioritizes memorization and standardized testing rather than developing crucial life skills.
However, when students enter the real world, they need much more than academics to succeed. They must communicate effectively, solve problems, think critically and make informed decisions. These skills will help them navigate life’s challenges, negotiate their perspectives, and find happiness and fulfillment in their life choices.
A Montessori education prioritizes the development of these essential life skills, preparing students for success beyond the classroom. By taking a holistic approach, Montessori education helps students become well-rounded individuals capable of navigating the world’s complexities with confidence and skill.
At Montessori House for Children and Elementary School, we understand the limitations of traditional education. We have made it our mission to provide a unique and comprehensive education that includes the development of essential life skills. The Montessori method of education goes well beyond the standardized (and frankly ,antiquated) approach of “teaching to the test” to hopefully ensure each student retains the standard grade-level curriculum, at least to the point of the test day.
Instead, Montessori education is focused on fostering natural curiosity, which develops, within the child, a life-long love for learning and continual growth. Our program offers student-centered, meaningful and purposeful learning experiences. Learning happens through a hands-on, inquiry-based approach. Our programs offer rich academic experiences, with equal importance placed on true academic understanding, ownership of learning, and development of ‘soft skills’ (critical thinking, problem-solving, and effective communication) which are crucial for future success.
This approach sets our school apart from the traditional education system, prioritizing memorization and testing over developing essential life skills. As a result, our students are immersed in a learning environment beyond the conventional A-F grading system and bellcurves, where only a select few are considered to be at the top. Instead, we focus on individualized learning, allowing students to explore and advance their interests and passions.
Unlike the traditional education system, a Montessori education:
- Fosters the development of essential people skills through hands on experiences in negotiation, relationship building, inclusivity, and perspective taking
- Imparts wisdom and judgment through a curriculum that contextualizes subjects like
history, math, science, art, geography and language, in terms of human lessons learned from the past
- Cultivates critical thinking through community meetings, research and dialogue,
encouraging students to make informed choices and understand that in life, there maybe more than one correct answer
- Enables mastery of academic subjects through self-directed learning with the guidance of skilled teachers
- Allows students to advance at their own pace and receive individualized lessons that build a strong foundation for future learning
- Integrates arts and creative projects into daily activities, providing outlets for imagination and self-expression
- Offers time for individual pursuits, where students can explore their interests, discover their passions, and bring their unique ideas and talents to the world
- Empowers students to find purpose and fulfillment in their lives by pursuing their passions and putting their talents to the greater good.
We invite you to observe one of our Montessori classrooms and compare it with other educational options available, and to witness the awe-inspiring benefits of Montessori–independent, active, and enjoyable learning. Our school offers Montessori education from toddler age through 6th grade.
To schedule a school tour, call us at 281-239-3400 or visit our website for more information.